|Audits for Information Feedback||
• Audit of referral system for pregnant or recently pregnant women and newborns in 16 facilities over a six-month period in 2011; midwife-led teams tracked 446 referred women until receipt of definitive treatment.|
• Maternal and newborn death audits conducted for every newborn and obstetric death in region; monthly feedback to all levels of the health system.
|Sustainable Emergency Referral Care||
• Emergency referral and transport system for remote CHPS zones|
• Ambulances and trained volunteer drivers from the community work closely with CHPS nurses
|Emergency Delivery Skills for Frontline Community Health Workers||• 60 CHOs placed in maternity and delivery wards to observe deliveries and enhance their confidence in managing emergency deliveries|
• All frontline workers equipped and trained in provision of neonatal resuscitation using the Helping Babies Breathe curriculum.|
• Regional trainers and district nurse supervisors trained in neonatal resuscitation to support long-term sustainability.
• Newly qualified and existing midwives trained annually in neonatal resuscitation.
|Kangaroo Mother Care||• Newly qualified and existing CHPS midwives trained annually in kangaroo mother care.|
|Proper Management of the Sick Newborn||
• CHOs, Physician Assistants, midwives, and staff nurses trained in facility and community-based newborn care.|
• Emphasis on postnatal visits on day 6 or 7 including assessment of the neonate for danger signs, treatment, referral, and counseling on child care practices.